The St. John’s Historic District in Darlington contains buildings from the 19th century. The district consists of approximately nineteen properties, including St. John’s School complex and campus, the Academy Green.
Most of the buildings were built between 1880 and 1925 and range in style from Victorian, Neo-Classical, Colonial Revival, and Bungalow.
The center of the community, the Academy Green was used for sporting events, militia drills, political rallies, and parades. During the Civil War, the Green was occupied by troops of the Union army.