The Florence National Cemetery was established in 1865 near one of the largest Confederate Civil War prison camps. For over a year, around 16,000 Union soldiers were imprisoned.
The stockade was created to accommodate prisoners that were moved around from upstate South Carolina and Georgia during the famous “March to the Sea.” A scale replica of the stockade may be seen at the War Between the States Museum open Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Early graves for the dead from the camp were originally marked by headboards and were later replaced by upright marble headstones.
The cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and includes the remains of veterans from every war and branch of the military who have served our country since the Civil War.