The Myrtle Beach Air Force Base was originally a municipal airport, and it was taken under the US Air Corps in 1940. Serving as the General Bombing and Gunnery Range and the Myrtle Beach Air Field, it became the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base in September of 1947. Two months later, it reverted to civilian control until the Air Force took possession again in 1956. It was inactivated in 1993.
The MBAFB Museum is located in the Base Recreation Center and Crabtree Gymnasium. Memorabilia from WWII to Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm is on display.
Off of Farrow Pky
Myrtle Beach, SC